Description: Image of the Blessed Virgin Mary in color painted on the choir wall of the church. When in 1898 the sanctuary, fallen into ruin, was sold, the fresco was removed from the church by cutting the piece of wall on which it had been made, and was transported to the parish church of Monteorsello. On September 8, 1932, the image was carried in procession from the parish church to the renewed sanctuary. Entered into use: between the year 1898 and the year 1898. Image: Painting
Collection of ex-votos: Data not available
Probably on the site of the sanctuary, there already existed in the 14th century a small oratory called Ca’ de’ Fabbri due to the proximity of a residence so named. Its first attestation dates back to 1692, on the occasion of a wedding celebration. Between 1868 and 1913, the sanctuary fell into disuse: particularly between 1868 and 1898 (with the exception of a brief period of restoration), it was abandoned following damage caused by heavy snowfall and the danger posed by two landslides. When in 1898 the sanctuary, fallen into ruin, was sold, the fresco was removed from the church by cutting the piece of wall on which it had been made, and was transported to the parish church of Monteorsello. At the beginning of the 20th century, the building collapsed definitively. In 1913, after episcopal authorization, it was rebuilt in its current form but slightly distant from the previous construction, which still exists. On September 8, 1932, the image was carried in procession from the parish church to the renewed sanctuary. During the period when the image was kept in the parish church, the cult seems to have been maintained, justifying the erection of a new building.
The date indicated for the entry into force of the parish is that of the oldest document. BIBLIOGRAPHY – The following texts, already included in the bibliographic repertoire linked to sanctuaries of the diocese of Modena, present references and bibliography useful for the ongoing research: BOOK – BALDELLI FRANCA, The parish archives of the province of Modena, 1994. (The work examines all the parishes of the diocese of Modena-Nonantola, briefly reconstructing their history and documentary heritage. In particular: Oratory of the Blessed Virgin of the Road: p. 107) – BOOK – MONTANARI GIANCARLO, Marian itineraries, Modena 1991, (The author examines some of the main oratories and sanctuaries dedicated to the Virgin of the diocese of Modena-Nonantola, providing information on history, art, and devotion: Oratory of the Blessed Virgin of the Road: I, 74-81) – BOOK – / – Emilia Romagna country by country, Florence 1987-1989, vols. VI (Brief description of the content; it is a publication that, proceeding in alphabetical order, describes from a geographical, economic, institutional, historical, and artistic point of view the municipalities of Emilia Romagna. Speaking of the artistic heritage and traditions linked to each individual town, it also focuses on places of worship. Diocese of Modena: Oratory of the Blessed Virgin of the Road: III, 92) – BOOK – LONGAGNANI, MANICARDI, SCHIFANI CORFINI, The Houses the Stones the Stories. Itineraries in the municipalities of the province of Modena, Modena 1980 (Brief description of the content: it is a guide, curated by the Province of Modena, that reviews all the places to visit in the individual municipalities. At the beginning, some thematic itineraries are also proposed, one of which is dedicated to sanctuaries. Oratory of the Blessed Virgin of the Road: p. 170) BOOK – Provincial Administration of Modena. Institute for Cultural Heritage of the Emilia Romagna Region, Historical settlement and cultural heritage. Upper Panaro Valley., Modena 1988 (It is a survey, with a brief explanatory historical-artistic sheet numbered by municipality, fraction, and sites, of all the historical settlements of the municipalities of the Panaro Valley: Oratory of the Blessed Virgin of the Road: pp. 128-129).
When in 1898 the sanctuary, fallen into ruin, was sold, the fresco was removed and transported to the parish church of Monteorsello. Here it was kept until September 8, 1932, when the image was carried in procession from the parish church to the renewed sanctuary.
Via Passo Brasa, 2895, 41052 Monte Orsello MO, Italy




Leave a Reply