• English
  • Italiano
  • Madonna of Castelmonte

    The current church dates back to the 18th century and features a single nave. The elevation of the church and the bell tower was carried out in the 1950s of this century.

    In 1253, an expansion took place; in 1274, a restoration; in 1296, another restoration and expansion; in 1357, the roof was rebuilt; and in 1364, a chapter auditorium was constructed.

    **Description:**
    A limestone statue of the Madonna, painted and dating back to the 14th century, weighing 4 quintals, depicts the Madonna seated on a throne with the Child held in her left arm. This is a clothed Madonna, and it should be noted that, until the last century, according to ancient custom, both the Madonna and the Child were covered with palls or garments of different colors for various occasions—simpler on weekdays, more elaborate on feast days. The shrine’s collection once included a series of these palls, now lost. The coloring, both of the face and the garments, has undergone repeated touch-ups (1891, 1904). For example, on May 3, 1675, the Udine painter Francesco Micesio attempted a restoration of the Virgin’s face.

    **Usage period:** Between the year 1300 and 1300.
    **Epiphany:** The Madonna holding the Child.
    **Image:** Statue.
    **Original location of the shrine:** On the interior walls of the shrine and the crypt.
    **Types of ex-votos:** Illuminations, inscribed tablets or plaques, painted tablets, goldsmith objects, anthropomorphic figurines, real or depicted prostheses, various objects, photographs.
    **Current preservation:** For security reasons, the current location is omitted.
    **Reference to publications or printed descriptions:** D’Alano 1971.

    Today, scholars tend to place the origins of Marian devotion in Castelmonte in the 5th century, following the Council of Ephesus (431), which solemnly recognized Mary as the Mother of God.

    One of the oldest and most authoritative testimonies about the shrine’s origin is encapsulated in a legend that links the fate of Castelmonte with that of Cividale, presenting a challenge for control of the city between the Madonna and the Devil.

    Currently, scholars lean toward establishing the 5th century as the origin of Marian devotion in Castelmonte, though there is little documentary evidence. In 1419, the shrine was plundered by the Hungarians. Major works were carried out in 1410 and 1432; at the time, the Chapter of Cividale sought to send envoys to Rome to obtain indulgences. From 1450 to 1503, the shrine was repeatedly looted by the Turks. In 1469, lightning caused a fire that destroyed the entire shrine, including the original miraculous image. The current stone statue (pre-1410) was blessed and enthroned on September 8, 1479. On this occasion, a great pardon was granted, attracting 50,000 pilgrims. In 1480, the Confraternity of Santa Maria del Monte was founded, quickly gaining members not only from Friuli but also from Slovenia, Carinthia, and Carniola. Since then, the shrine has remained one of the most renowned and frequented centers of devotion in Friuli.

    **Key dates:**
    – 1247: Innocent IV grants certain indulgences.
    – 1300: Twelve bishops grant a 40-day indulgence to visitors.
    – 1479: Enthronement of the current statue; a jubilee with a plenary indulgence was granted for the occasion. Indulgences continue to this day.

    **Ownership:** Canonical and capitular prepositure.
    **Religious jurisdiction:** Pievana.
    **Religious community name:** S. Stefano di Cividale.
    **Patronage type:** Canonical-pievanale.


    **Shrine of the Blessed Virgin**
    33040 Prepotto UD, Italy


    Testi Sacri

    Testi Sacri Holyart.it

    Articoli per la liturgia

    Incensi Holyart.it

    Rosari e Santini

    Rosari Holyart.it