• English
  • Italiano
  • Madonna of the East

    The Sanctuary of the Madonna dell’Oriente, dating back to the 14th century, is located about 3 km from the town center of Tagliacozzo, on a hill overlooking the Imele river valley. The religious complex consists of two intersecting structures: the church, with a northwest-southeast axis and an irregular floor plan, and the rectangular-shaped convent. The interior is divided into three naves, marked by cruciform pillars and a polygonal apse. The irregularity of the floor plan stems from the left nave, which is narrower near the apse and much wider toward the entrance, while the central and right naves are regular. Each nave contains two altars, with the last two preceded by a triumphal arch. Two side choir lofts facing the central nave define the compositional layout of the apse area, while scenes of St. Francis are painted on the upper walls of the same nave. A tall, quadrangular bell tower marks the apse section.

    In 1896, the church underwent significant architectural transformations. The very low central vault was raised, the main altar, apse, and choir were preserved, the main structure was rebuilt, and two additional chapels in Renaissance style were added. The church has since undergone further renovations.

    **Description:**
    The image, in Byzantine style, is painted in gouache on a dark blue background using a cedar support. The Virgin, dressed in Eastern attire, is seated on a bench with a low, painted backrest. She wears a white head covering with red stripes, a dark red robe, a turquoise mantle, and a dark sash around her waist. With her left hand resting on her chest, she holds a small globe, while her right hand supports the Child, who stands upright with his left foot resting on his Mother’s knees. The painting is placed on the main altar, flanked by two large frescoes that are copies of those originally on the right and left walls under the dome, which were removed to make way for the two choir lofts in the presbytery.

    **Date of origin:** Between 700 and 799
    **Image type:** Painting

    **Collection notes:**
    In 1965, with the approval of Superior P. Igino Taglione, a museum was established containing various artifacts, including items of Eastern origin. The collection is organized by theme: statuary, iconography, archaeology, archives, numismatics, philately, Eastern and modern crafts, and miscellaneous objects. Among these is a crucifix donated by Bernardino Falconio of Pescocostanzo, a royal chancellor in Tagliacozzo.

    **Types of ex-votos:** Painted tablets, goldsmith objects, miscellaneous items, others.

    **13th–14th century (pre-existing elements of the entire property)**

    The oldest documents mentioning the church of S. Maria de Orienna date back to the early 14th century, but its origins are believed to be much older, as evidenced by the icon itself, which dates at least to the first half of the 13th century. According to tradition, the image survived the iconoclastic fury of Leo III the Isaurian and miraculously arrived in Italy. Unfortunately, no other traces remain from those distant times apart from the icon itself, due to numerous restorations.

    Tradition holds that the painting of the Madonna was originally placed in a modest, crude hut serving as shelter for shepherds and travelers. Later, unable to accommodate the growing number of faithful, the hut was demolished, and a larger church was built, including small rooms for the priest’s residence and occasional lodging for visitors. The municipality of Tagliacozzo also temporarily used these rooms as a hospice for priests overseeing the sanctuary.

    According to legend, the sanctuary’s origin dates to the period of Leo III’s iconoclastic persecution, when he sought to suppress idolatry by destroying sacred images. While these burned in a square in Byzantium, two soldiers from Tagliacozzo stole one and brought it near their hometown. At night, as they rested, the image emitted a light that caught the attention of shepherds tending livestock in the area. Finding the image, the shepherds took it to the town, but the next morning, it was back where the soldiers had left it. This miraculous event was interpreted as the Virgin’s wish to be venerated in that place.

    In 1876, priest Giuseppe Gattinara, the sanctuary’s administrator, obtained approval from Bishop Federico De Giacomo of Marsi for the founding rule of the Confraternity of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary of the Orient in Tagliacozzo. (See Archive C/88, file 2029).

    The sanctuary holds many indulgences, both plenary and partial. These include: a plenary indulgence every Sunday of the month, a plenary indulgence granted by Pope Pius VII on April 20, 1815, and indulgences on all Sundays in May and the Sunday within the octave of the Nativity of Mary, when the Feast of the Orient is celebrated. (See Giuseppe Gattinara, *Monograph on the Ancient and Miraculous Image of Maria Santissima di Oriente*, pp. 23–24).

    The Franciscans took over religious services at the request of Tagliacozzo’s municipality. A copy of the contract, preserved in the convent archive, reveals: the initial agreement for leasing the church, building, and adjacent land was made on July 13, 1894; the contract was signed on July 1, 1895, between the municipality and the Roman Province of St. Bernardino of Siena of the Abruzzi, represented by Provincial P. Angelo Sonsini; the contract, effective from January 1, 1896, lasted 29 years, renewable for another 29 unless either party objected. The friars are credited with building a college for boys aspiring to religious life.

    The Passionist Fathers cared for the sanctuary until 1863, when Bishop Michelangelo Sorrentino’s death and religious suppressions interrupted their service. A 1857 document in the diocesan archive records permission for the Passionists to establish themselves in the House of the Orient and nearby Tagliacozzo. (See Archive C/81, file 1650). Restoration work was carried out, and an inventory of the church’s objects was made. (See ADM Archive C/81, files 1651–1656).

    Until the mid-19th century, the sanctuary was served by a chaplain appointed by the municipality from among secular priests for major feast days, with only two hermits residing there. Due to complaints from the faithful, the Passionist Fathers took over its care starting in 1858.


    Via Oriente, 148, 67069 Tagliacozzo AQ, Italy


    Testi Sacri

    Testi Sacri Holyart.it

    Articoli per la liturgia

    Incensi Holyart.it

    Rosari e Santini

    Rosari Holyart.it