• English
  • Italiano
  • Madonna of the Royal Palace

    Renaissance-style octagonal building with a dome. Its height is approximately 40 meters, and its diameter is 64 meters. The primary construction material is brick, except for the three entrance portals, which are made of pietra serena (a type of sandstone) and have been heavily weathered over time. The interior of the church is circular, with a diameter of twenty meters, and features sixteen columns supporting eight arches. There are five altars, the main one of which holds the fresco of the Madonna della Reggia.

    **Description:** A 14th-century fresco depicting the Virgin enthroned with the Child, flanked by Saint John the Baptist (on the viewer’s right) and Saint John the Evangelist (on the viewer’s left). The fresco is set within a niche framed by an elaborate drapery and a stucco glory of angels from 1725.

    **Date of use:** Between 1559 and 1568
    **Image:** Painting
    **Collection of ex-votos:** No
    Apart from the miracle that led to the sanctuary’s founding, there are no records of other specific miracles.

    **Tradition:**
    On September 14, 1556, near the Reggia (or Regghia) River in Umbertide, the ruins of a chapel containing a painting of the Madonna were discovered. Many people came to pray at the site, including Orlando Vibi, a citizen of Perugia, who arrived with his wife and their daughter, who had been crippled since birth. Left to pray near the image, the daughter heard the voice of the Madonna and was immediately healed. This miracle drew many moved faithful who also brought numerous offerings, leading civil and religious authorities to decide that a grand temple dedicated to the Mother of Christ should be built on the site.

    Construction began in 1559 and was completed in 1568 (reportedly on May 22, with the placement of the painting on the high altar). However, likely due to a structural flaw, the dome had to be demolished and rebuilt in 1614. Financial difficulties caused significant delays and modifications to the construction project, which was completed in 1647, with final touches finished in 1663 (the total cost amounted to 40,000 scudi).

    In 1656, the Confraternity of St. Isidore was established at the church, along with an altar dedicated to the saint inside the building. The Church of the Madonna della Reggia was consecrated on October 17, 1751, by the Bishop of Gubbio. In 1804, the collegiate chapter of canons was transferred there.

    In 1944, an Allied bombing destroyed the church’s sacristy, the caretaker’s house, and the archive of documents, resulting in the loss of many historical records. The last restoration was carried out in 1977.

    **Legend:**
    As mentioned above, the dome of the church was rebuilt between 1614 and 1647 and decorated in 1663. In 1804, the chapter of San Giovanni was transferred to the Church of Santa Maria della Reggia, which then assumed the title of Collegiate Church.

    In 1804, the chapter of canons, established in 1765 in the Church of San Giovanni and composed of ten canons (including the two dignitaries of archpriest and provost), was moved to Santa Maria della Reggia. These were secular priests from the diocesan clergy of Gubbio.


    06019 Umbertide, Province of Perugia, Italy


    Testi Sacri

    Testi Sacri Holyart.it

    Articoli per la liturgia

    Incensi Holyart.it

    Rosari e Santini

    Rosari Holyart.it