Chapel inside the church. It is likely that the first construction of the church dates back to the 11th-12th century, and that a Romanesque-style church, identifiable as Santa Maria a Norma, was built on that site, featuring three naves and an apse. Around 1533, the Caetani dukes expanded the presbytery and excavated chapels outside the perimeter walls along the two side naves. (The fourth chapel on the left nave housed the entrance and the baptismal font, while the remaining seven chapels were dedicated to saints and Madonnas. The second chapel on the right nave held the image of the Madonna del Rifugio.) In 1850, the chapels of the Refuge and the Rosary were opened. The side altars, the choir loft, and its access staircase were removed, and the baptismal font was relocated to the chapel of San Francesco di Paola. On the occasion of the bicentennial of the painting’s donation, the church floor was constructed. In 1954, the stuccos decorating the chapel were replaced with precious marbles. In 1964, the church was floored with marble. During this renovation, the floors of the two side naves were raised to the level of the central nave, revealing an ossuary beneath the flooring. In 1967, the presbytery was clad in pink granite, and the main altar was made of labradorite (and consecrated on August 27, 1967).
Description: Canvas depicting the Madonna and Child. The image was adorned with a gold crown set with precious stones. Since 1718, the image was located in the “cornu epistolae,” between the chapel of the Holy Crucifix and that of the Holy Rosary, in the chapel of the Patriarch Saint Joseph, and was placed in an urn. This copy was painted in the spring of 1717.
In use since: 1718
Image: Painting
Collection of ex-votos: Data not available
Oral tradition recalls several miracles during droughts and other adverse weather events. Among other stories, it is said that not many years ago, a stranger who came to Norma on the day of the feast blasphemed and mocked the devotees who had come to honor her: around 2:00 PM, while the hot sun was shining, a sudden lightning bolt struck him dead. Popular tradition holds that this was a divine sign.
In 1718, the canvas of the Madonna del Rifugio dei Peccatori, a copy of the one carried by Blessed Father Antonio Baldinucci during his missions, was placed in the chapel of San Giuseppe. In 1967, the church was declared a Marian Shrine by Monsignor Arrigo Pintonello.
Tradition holds that the painting was donated to the church of Norma after the Madonna told Blessed Antonio Baldinucci the phrase: “Son, let us go to Norma, for its people are better,” when he sought her advice on the itinerary for his missions. This occurred in 1717, as attested by Fabio Benci, lieutenant of the Duke of Sermoneta. Cf. “Summary of the processes for the cause of Father Antonio Baldinucci.”
In 1592, Marco di Sciarra invaded the church armed and wounded and killed people who had taken refuge inside the sacred enclosure. The church lost its sanctity and was interdicted. Reconsecration took place on Ascension Day in 1592.
1814: At the expense of devotees, a small image of the Madonna del Rifugio was printed and distributed.
1819: In Norma, the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was celebrated under the title Refuge of Sinners.
1858: The processional structure was renewed.
1919: Second centennial of the painting’s donation—originally planned for 1917 but postponed due to the war. Veterans participated as a sign of gratitude for the end of hostilities.
1948: Coronation of the Virgin and Child.
1959: Consecration of Norma to the Madonna del Rifugio. The archpriest of Norma presented the mayor with a copy of the painting, still kept in the municipal council chamber.
August 27, 1967: 250th anniversary of the presence of the Madonna del Rifugio painting in Norma. Coinciding with the 250th anniversary of the death of Blessed Antonio Baldinucci, the relic of his heart was brought to Norma for the Madonna’s feast. On this occasion, a shrine was erected in the “Mancinella” district as a memorial and protection for the town. Additionally, on this date, the Church of the Annunciation was elevated to a sanctuary.
May 31, 1970: The diocesan Archbishop, Monsignor Piontello, placed a gold crown on the image of the Madonna del Rifugio, made from the melting of the previous crown.
Prince Borghese held patronage rights over the church. He had a private entrance from his buildings leading directly into the church.
04010 Norma LT, Italy



