• English
  • Italiano
  • Our Lady of Good Counsel

    Chapel inside the Church of San Lorenzo. It was built in the 16th century and expanded in 1864 with the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament and the Chapel of the Madonna del Buonconsiglio, completed in 1866.

    **Description:** The painting is attributed to the artist Bonichi and was delivered to the archpriest on March 18, 1761, who officially displayed it on April 25 of the same year. It depicts the Madonna with Child and is located to the left of the altar in the namesake chapel, completed in 1864.
    **First use:** 1761
    **Image:** Painting
    **Original location in the sanctuary:** Walls of the Chapel of the Madonna del Buon Consiglio
    **Types of ex-votos:** Jewelry, miscellaneous objects
    **Current preservation:** For security reasons, the current location is omitted.

    The weekly *L’Araldo Poliziano* of August 15, 1931, mentions a miracle that occurred during the cholera period. The Episcopal Archive of Chiusi holds documentation (from the 1930s) concerning Corinto Pellegrini and an apparition of the Virgin. The documentation includes numerous photographs, analyses, and expert evaluations certifying the authenticity of the images, which depict the face of the Virgin.

    The first document attesting to the spread of devotion to the Virgin of Good Counsel in the Sarteano area dates back to 1761. It is a letter included in the file *Memorie riguardanti la Madonna del Buon Consiglio*, kept in the archive of the Collegiate Church of SS. Lorenzo and Apollinare MM. in Sarteano. The letter, written by the painter Francesco Bonici on March 18, 1761, was addressed to the archpriest of the Collegiate Church, Alessandro Bacherini, and was attached to the painting of the Madonna del Buon Consiglio.

    The pastoral visit of 1763, conducted by the Bishop of Chiusi (Giustino Bagnesi), confirms Sarteano’s devotion to the Blessed Virgin: *”Veneratur hic imago semper V. Boni Consilii pubblice exposita venerationi sub die 25 Aprilis 1761 aere pio Ad. R. D. Archipresbiteri Alexandri Bacarini, qui maxmo pupuli desiderio, precibusque voluit indulgere ibique vidit argentea vota et devotissime hymnum ‘O Gloriosa Virginum’ canens adoravit.”*

    **See previous records.**

    The Madonna of Sarteano was crowned with a golden crown (as was the Child Jesus) in 1931, following the melting of gold objects donated by the women of Sarteano out of devotion. The crowns were crafted by the goldsmith Matteo Canepa of Genoa. This record was compiled by Lucia Carpini, Rocco Carpini, and Isabella Gagliardi.

    On April 2, 1845, Pope Leo XIII granted a plenary indulgence *”ad septennium”* on the occasion of the feast of the Most Holy Mary of Good Counsel:

    *”Leo Pope XIII. To all the faithful who will read these present letters, greetings and Apostolic blessing. Since, as we have learned, in the Parish and Collegiate Church dedicated to SS. Lawrence and Apollinaris, in the town commonly called Sarteano of the Diocese of Chiusi, a special devotion is paid to the image of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Good Counsel, and solemn triduum supplications are held in her honor on the 26th of April, with great public attendance, we, desiring to increase the piety of the faithful and promote the salvation of souls, out of pious charity toward the heavenly treasures of the Church, mercifully grant in the Lord to each and every one of the faithful who participate daily in these prayers, and who, truly penitent and confessed and refreshed by Holy Communion, visit the aforementioned church devoutly each year on the said day or any one of the three preceding days, and there pour out pious prayers to God for the concord of Christian princes, the eradication of heresies, the conversion of sinners, and the exaltation of Holy Mother Church, a plenary indulgence and remission of all their sins, which they may also apply by way of suffrage to the souls of the faithful departed who have left this life united to God in charity. These presents shall be valid for seven years only. Given at Rome, at St. Peter’s, under the Fisherman’s ring, on the 2nd day of April 1895, in the eighteenth year of Our Pontificate.”*

    Changes in jurisdiction reflect diocesan variations; see the relevant record.

    In reality, the spiritual care of the church was entrusted to the secular clergy long before the site became a sanctuary. It was, in fact, a medieval-era parish church (13th–14th century).


    53047 Sarteano SI, Italy


    Testi Sacri

    Testi Sacri Holyart.it

    Articoli per la liturgia

    Incensi Holyart.it

    Rosari e Santini

    Rosari Holyart.it