• English
  • Italiano
  • Our Lady of the Good Journey

    The church, as we mentioned, dates back to the 17th century. It has a cruciform plan with a large dome resting above the presbytery, a small portico on the left side, and a closed space symmetrically placed opposite the portico on the right side.

    The façade, entirely whitewashed, is crowned by a statue of the Virgin at the roof ridge, while the small bell gable rests on the right side of the transept.

    The masonry is made of small granite blocks; the roof has barrel-vaulted tiles, while the central dome is clad in copper. The plaster is cement-based, though unfortunately, the windows, installed during recent restorations, are made of aluminum.

    The basilican altar is granite, and inside the church, there are 10 statues—two depicting the Madonna del Buon Cammino, while the others represent Saint Rose, Saint Dominic, Saint Anthony of Padua, Saint Mary Magdalene, Saint Anthony the Abbot, Saint Apollonia, and Saint Agnes. There are also two angels.

    The most important statue is undoubtedly the one in alabaster, depicting the Madonna holding the infant Jesus.

    **Description:** Among the 10 statues inside the sanctuary, the most significant is undoubtedly the one representing the Virgin holding the child. This alabaster statue was crafted in 1628 by Antonio Marino of Bonifacio. Currently, the statue is not in good condition, primarily due to poor restoration attempts—visible, for example, in the work done on the eyes and face, as well as damage in other parts. At the base of the statue is an inscription: *Maria Mater gratiae – Mater misericordiae*.

    **Date of use:** 1628
    **Image:** Statue
    **Collection of ex-votos:** Data not available

    The oldest record of the existence of the rural church of Our Lady of the Good Journey comes from reports sent by Captain Pietro Magnon, commander of the Longon Sardo tower, to his superiors. In one such letter, dated June 8, 1805, he mentions the feast of the Madonna di Buoncammino and some public order issues that arose during the celebrations. Another reference to the feast appears in a letter from May 16, 1807, where the commander of the Longon Sardo tower expresses to his superiors the need to establish a new settlement, which would later be named Santa Teresa Gallura.

    In his report titled *Project for a Feast*, Magnon describes the chosen site for the construction of the new parish church (San Vittorio Martire). On this occasion, he extensively discusses the rural feast held at the already existing church of Our Lady of the Good Journey and proposes special ceremonies for the laying of the cornerstone of the new parish church. According to his plan, the celebrations would culminate in the small rural church.

    Before 1821, the church of Our Lady of the Good Journey likely belonged to the ancient parish of Saint Peter the Apostle, which is also the cathedral of the Diocese of Tempio-Pausania. It is also worth noting that of the two feasts celebrated in this parish, one is dedicated to the Madonna del Buon Cammino.

    This assertion stems from the fact that the Municipality of Santa Teresa, founded on August 12, 1808, by the will of Victor Emmanuel I at the urging of Captain Pietro Magnon, and which includes the rural church of the Madonna del Buon Cammino within its territory, became independent from the Municipality of Tempio Pausania in 1812 through an episcopal bull issued by Bishop G. Stanislao Paradiso of Ampurias and Civita, alongside the new parish church of San Vittorio Martire.


    07028 Santa Teresa Gallura OT, Italy


    Testi Sacri

    Testi Sacri Holyart.it

    Articoli per la liturgia

    Incensi Holyart.it

    Rosari e Santini

    Rosari Holyart.it