Sanctuary of San Rocco: Faith, Art, and History in Chieri
The Sanctuary of San Rocco in Chieri, although no longer existing in its original form, remains a place of profound historical and spiritual importance. Its history is an intertwining of faith, art, and popular devotion, inextricably linked to the community of Chieri.
A Vow Against the Plague: The Birth of the Sanctuary
The history of the Sanctuary of San Rocco has its roots in a moment of great difficulty for Chieri: the plague epidemic that scourged the region at the end of the 16th century. On June 24, 1599, the townspeople, exhausted by the disease, made a solemn vow: to erect a church dedicated to San Rocco, protector of plague victims, in exchange for the end of the contagion. The vow was accepted, and the church was built next to the church of San Domenico.
San Rocco: The Thaumaturgic Pilgrim
San Rocco, born in Montpellier (France) in the 14th century, is a figure of great charisma and devotion. Orphaned at a young age, he distributed his wealth to the poor and undertook a pilgrimage to Rome. During his journey, he dedicated himself to caring for plague victims, contracting the disease himself. He withdrew into solitude to be miraculously healed and, upon returning to his homeland, was imprisoned and died in jail. His figure, a symbol of charity, self-denial, and protection against the plague, has made him one of the most popular and invoked saints in Christendom.

The Moncalvo Altarpiece: A Saved Artistic Treasure
Although the original structure of the Sanctuary has been lost, a precious testimony of its artistic value has survived: the altarpiece created by Moncalvo in 1601. The work depicts the coronation of the Virgin Mary among Saints George, William, Rocco, and Sebastian. The particularity of this painting lies in the background, which portrays a faithful representation of Chieri between the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th century. After the demolition of the church of San Rocco, the altarpiece was transferred to the church of San Bernardino, where it can still be admired today.

From the Confraternity to the Chapel: The Transfer of the Cult
After its construction, the church of San Rocco was entrusted to the Confraternity of the Most Holy Trinity, which took care of the celebrations and the upkeep of the building. However, over time, due to its poor state of preservation and abandonment by the confraternity, the municipality decided to demolish the church between the 1830s and 1840s. In 1845, thanks to an agreement with the Confraternity of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, the title of San Rocco was attributed to a chapel inside the church of San Bernardino, where the cult continues to be celebrated.
A Path of Faith and Memory: In Search of Lost Traces
Although the original sanctuary no longer exists, it is still possible to retrace the traces of its history and the devotion to San Rocco in Chieri. A visit to the church of San Bernardino allows one to admire the Moncalvo altarpiece and to gather in prayer in the chapel dedicated to the saint. Furthermore, a walk near the ancient church of San Domenico, where the sanctuary once stood, can evoke the atmospheres of the past and the deep faith that animated the community of Chieri. And who knows, perhaps some research in the local historical archives could bring to light new information and details about the life of the sanctuary and its importance for the city.
Patron Saints: San Giorgio and San Sebastiano
In addition to San Rocco, the Moncalvo altarpiece also features San Giorgio and San Sebastiano, important figures in the panorama of Christian sainthood. San Giorgio, the knight who slays the dragon, is a symbol of courage and the fight against evil. San Sebastiano, the Roman martyr pierced by arrows, is invoked as a protector against epidemics, like San Rocco. The presence of these saints in the altarpiece testifies to the richness and complexity of popular devotion in the context of the sanctuary.





Leave a Reply