Santa Maria della Bianca: The Sanctuary of the Miracle of the Reluctant Madonna
In the heart of Umbria, along the ancient road from Campello to Spoleto, stands a place of faith with miraculous origins: the Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Bianca. More than just a sacred building, this church holds a story of popular devotion, supernatural events, and a tenacious civic identity rooted in the sixteenth century. A journey here is a pilgrimage into the history and faith of a community that, for centuries, has honored its Madonna who was “reluctant” to leave her original place.
History and Origins of the Sanctuary
The history of the sanctuary begins in 1514, when the inhabitants of Campello, driven by their devotion, commissioned a painting of the Virgin from a local, unknown artist. The image, depicting Mary seated on a throne in prayer with the Infant Jesus on her lap, was initially placed in a small rural shrine and venerated with the title of “Madonna del Soccorso” (Our Lady of Succor).
However, the sanctuary’s destiny is marked by a miraculous event. Tradition recounts that when the faithful wanted to transfer the image to a new and more worthy building, the Madonna miraculously returned overnight to her original site. This extraordinary event repeated itself several times, as if to emphasize her bond with that place, until the community’s insistent prayers “convinced” her to accept the new home. It is in this context of faith and wonder that, in 1516, with the construction of the actual sanctuary, the Virgin assumed the definitive title of “La Bianca” (The White One).
The reasons for this name are fascinating. It does not seem to derive from a pre-existing place name, but rather from the desire of the population of Campello to distinguish their cult from that of the nearby Madonna della Bruna in Castel Ritaldi. The historian Luigi Fausti also recalls the title of “Madonna della Misericordia” (Our Lady of Mercy), testifying to the role of comfort and protection attributed to her. Official authorization for construction was granted on September 29, 1516, by the Bishop of Spoleto, Mons. Francesco Eroli, an act that sanctioned the importance of this place for the entire community.
Architecture and Artworks
The sanctuary presents itself as a single-nave church, topped by a dome and flanked by a bell tower added at a later date. Its structure has undergone several transformations over the centuries, documented by precious inscriptions on its walls.
The central element of devotion is the miraculous painting from 1514. Originally, as documented by the pastoral visit of Cardinal Maffeo Barberini (the future Pope Urban VIII) in 1610, the image was not on the back wall but was isolated above the main altar, surrounded by a rich carved and gilded wooden frame and protected by glass. It was surrounded by numerous votive tablets, tangible testimony of graces received, unfortunately now dispersed.
During the major restorations of 1797, the church was embellished with stuccoes, and probably on that occasion, the image of the Madonna was moved to the back wall. A large sealed window on the exterior seems to confirm this historic “transfer.” The interior also houses the relics of saints, for which a shrine was specifically built in 1789.

Traditions, Devotion, and Life of the Sanctuary
The cult of the Virgin of the Bianca has always been very much alive. As early as 1516, an indulgence of forty days was granted to anyone who prayed in her chapel. The sanctuary was not only a place of prayer but a true community center. The Confraternities of the Rosary and of Carmel were active there, and attached to it existed a “hospital of the Madonna”, a hospice to welcome the many pilgrims, managed by the “santesi” (sanctuary keepers). This building, unfortunately, was severely damaged by the earthquake of 1703.
The community of Campello maintained a strong bond with the sanctuary, having obtained the right of iuspatronato (patronage) and the authority to elect the chaplain, a figure who cared for the place until the 1920s. A special bond also linked this sanctuary to the small church of San Sebastiano presso le Vene del Clitunno, built as a vow during a plague and entrusted to the care of the chaplain of the Bianca.

How to Visit and Curiosities
Visiting the Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Bianca means walking the same roads as the Renaissance pilgrims. The sanctuary is located in the locality of La Bianca, a place name born precisely from the presence of the temple. For a more complete experience, one can imagine the devotional journey of times past, perhaps starting from the center of Campello and walking the stretch of countryside towards the sanctuary, reflecting on the miracle of the Madonna who returned along this very path.
A curiosity for history enthusiasts is to look for, on the exterior walls of the church, the traces of the sealed window that might indicate the point of the original fresco or its subsequent relocation. The sanctuary, with its history of resilient faith and community identity, remains a place where Marian devotion is still deeply felt, guardian of a story that began with a painting and a miracle that did not want to be forgotten.





Leave a Reply